Scroll to the Top
Pi MusicBox Prerelease
MusicBox 0.5 alpha4 (4 april 2014) contains the following improvements:
- Much improved performance and stability of Mopidy
- Small bugfixes
- Everything from alpha3
MusicBox 0.5 alpha3 (1 april 2014) contains the following improvements:
- New Settings page for easily selecting most settings of MusicBox!!
- Based on kernel from Volumio. Works nicely!
- Mopidy is more reliable now (thanks to new kernel?)
- Webclient updated to (way) better support browsing
- Podcast working, including browsing podcasts from iTunes, gpodder
- UPNP/DLNA Streaming using gmediarender-resurrect
- Seperate webserver (lighttp) on startup
- Jukebox functionality included with aternative webclient JukePi. Great for the office!
- Also included alternative webclient Moped
- Larger image, not optimized for size. Fits only on a 2G+ SD (for now) :(
- Google Music All Access working again
- Youtube extension (0.1, not too user friendly ;)
- TuneIn, Dirble, Podcasts enabled by default
- - Firewall disabled for now
- - Mopidy extensions Radio-de/somafm/internetarchive not working (yet)
- - Upnp/Airplay/Mopidy cannot play at the same time. Don't do that, it can crash the services and you need to reboot
- - Automatic resize does not work yet
MusicBox 0.5 alpha2 contains the following improvements:
- Fix for networking problems (I hope!)
- Automatically play a stream at startup
- Webclient: Easier to add radiostations from Dirble/TuneIn browsing to the favorites in the radio section
- Bugfixes (like samba/cifs mount, wifi, settings.ini)
- Disbled musicbox user. No need anymore for that
- Fixed partition size
- motd ascii art
- Resize bug fixed
- Filecheck added for fat partition
Next to the improvements of MusicBox 0.5 alpha:
- Mopidy 0.18.x, with lots of enhancements
- Browsing support for local media files, Spotify, Dirble, etc
- Dirble, Subsonic, Internet Archive Sound, TuneIn Radio support
- First steps to support Podcasts, SomaFM, Rad.io/Radio.de/Radio.fr (does not work (fully) yet)
- Better webradio (Mopidy can read m3u and asx files now!)
- Quick hack to easily edit default radio stations in webinterface (use radiostations.js)
- Better USB Sound, better i2s
- Settings.ini and mopidy.conf merged to one file, so you can configure Mopidy specific settings yourself easily
- Mopidy runs as a service
- Logging on startup (not totally there yet)
- Newer kernel
- Better networking
Download the image. It's about 485MB in (compressed) size; 1.7GB uncompressed.
This can take a while, so spread the word in the meantime, please spread the word!
Open the contents of the 'config' folder of SD-Card in your
Add your credentials of your Spotify Premium account, Google, SoundCloud, LastFM, Wifi, etc to the file
It has instructions on what to put where.
MusicBox will autodetect usb audiocards/speakers/boxes and hdmi.
It's possible to override this in the ini-file. For example if you want to use analog out while having hdmi connected.
Detailed instructions can be found in the Manual
Start me up!
Put the card in the Pi
Connect cables (You don't have to connect a monitor to the Pi if you
don't want to)
To use Wifi and USB-Audio you have to plugin the devices before you
start the Pi. Restart if you plug them in later.
Power on your Pi
Wait for a while... So in the meantime, follow us!
Accessing the music
Point your browser to the Pi. Depending on your network and computers,
it will be available at this address:
Most OS X/iOS and Windows devices probably will find it immediately. If it doesn't work, you could try to
install Apple Bonjour/iTunes in Windows to make it work. Linux should also work if Avahi or Samba/Winbind is installed.
Using Android, you have to point your browser to the MusicBox using the IP-address of your Pi, e.g.
(fill in your own!).
There is no way to change that for now, unless Android would support it,
The IP-address is printed on the screen when
MusicBox is started. Connect a monitor/tv to find out. Or use a network/bonjour scanning utility.
Support & Contact
Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions and the Manual before asking questions.
You can discuss features and problems on the Google Group (maillist/forum) of Mopidy
. Please report problems about MusicBox itself at the repo at Github
. On FaceBook
, you can contact us. You can also try the
channel on Freenode
or the Raspberry
If you wish to contact us you can use the Facebook/Twitter links at the top of the page.
Pi MusicBox is based on the following great projects:
Raspbian (based on Debian (based on Linux))
Mopidy (+ my own Mopidy
All the projects that are used to create the these projects
All the projects that are used to create the projects that are used
to create these projects
All the projects that ...
A lot of people giving solutions on forums...
And of course the work of the guys 'n girls who brought you the Raspberry